Monday, September 12, 2011

Dream big or go home

This was a post that I took down because I wrote it when I was really mad about something and also said some really ignorant stuff. I went through it again and now I think it is less stupid.


I don't generally listen to church shows but I stopped for a second and listened to that dude Joel Olsteen. It's like his smile just mesmerizes you and he seams to make more sense to me that someone saying that I have to follow some book that was in my opinion, written by men to control those not as smart as themselves. This guy every time I have heard him just says be a good person, help other people, help yourself, and try in your life. This time when I stopped for a few seconds he was talking about having big dreams. He was saying that sometimes having only small goals makes it so that you will never achieve all that you could. I know that small goals are good for moral, you need them to keep you going until you attain your large goal. I have big goals, and I have a general idea of how I am going to get to most of them. One of my big goals is to one day compete in a masters world championships, and by compete I mean be competitive. I don't want to just show up and ride my bike. These are things that I try to teach my athletes and that I have to constantly remind myself about. I really don't know why but there are always those that want to keep you from your goals. There is no reason for this, maybe they are jealous or just don't like to see other succeed. I even find myself sometimes telling people why it is going to be really hard to achieve some goal they want. Why tell them that, why not tell them how to attain that goal, or do something that would help them on their way? Especially if this person attaining their goal has no negative outcome on me.
There is a young guy that is working for me who is turning out to be a great coach in a very short time. This coach wants to one day coach elite gymnastics. At one time this was what I wanted as well but I have changed my goal in this area to sending athletes to college. I have my reasons for this but that does not mean that I should discourage this coach from trying to do what he wants to do. So I think I will be as of much help as I can. I have never been an elite coach so I can't tell him exactly what to do, but one day this coach is going to have to leave my gym to go to an elite gym. And when that day comes I will help him find a great gym that he can go to learn more. I wont be mad but happy for him. He will be one more step closer to realizing his dream. I will most likely miss him and his skill as a coach, but who am I to tell someone they can't have what they have worked so hard to have.
I think that maybe I am not the norm though. I often find those who would rather tell me why I can't do something rather than why I can or should. I know it will be hard, and that the odds are against me.  But if I work hard, plan, train, study, do everything that I can to attain that goal, I don't need you or anyone else telling me what I can or can't do. In fact, you telling me I can't, that I am a nobody, that I have no right, that pushes me even more. I love to prove people wrong, I have been doing it my whole life, and I will do it again. I have great things that I am going to do. I have a long way to go to reach my goals for life, but I will rise above and I will continue to work. No one is going to stop me, and I will do everything that I can to help all those that ask to get what they want too. I hope that is a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment