Friday, March 4, 2011

Here I sit

Yesterday was a long one. I woke up at 6 am so that I could get 2 workouts in before I had to leave for California. I was going to miss a pretty important workout while I am gone and I wanted to put that together with the workout I was supposed to do on Wednesday. It was a very hard workout but I felt great that I was able to get it done.
Our flight for Cali left at 11:15 am so my mother-in-law and my wife pilled into the car and off we went with a stop over at Walgreens to pick up so meds. I like to think that I am pretty good at traveling, if you have seen that movie called Up In The Air with George Clooney I like to take his character's advice to try to get through the airport as quickly as possible. Not that I am a traveler like his character in the movie, I just try to get better at it every time, like everything else that I do I guess.
So I was the first one at the airport out of my crew of coaches. It was going to be a flight filled with kids and parents from my gym. Some that I had never traveled with and I have never really taken the time to get to know yet. I will get around to it eventually I guess but sometimes I like to keep my distance and keep up the aura of whatever they think of me. I like to fly Southwest and fortunately I have been able to use them for every meet so far. Back in college we would travel using American, or United and they were ALWAYS late and shitty people worked for them. I vowed that I would do everything in my power to never fly with them again. I also like that Southwest is generally bike friendly and only charges $50 each way to bring a bike. I have even heard that sometimes if you are nice and can chat up the check in lady they will wave the fee. I have only flown with my bike once but I will have to try that next time I come out to California in May.
The nice thing about this meet is we are going to have a lot of down time and we have the ability to go out and do some site seeing and what not. But here I sit in my room, I don't know why. It isn't because I am typing this entry, I have been here for a while. I guess I just need to stop being lazy and go explore.
I did get a pretty ok workout in this morning, I was up at 4 because of the time difference, I just stayed in bed for about an hour to see if I would go back to sleep but no. So I got up got some breakfast, met a parent from my gym that I have never really talked with, and then hit the gym.Nice PLACE! Nicer than my workout gym at home for sure, and my gym is brand spanking new. It was fun to people watch in there though. Lots of very attractive people and I would say stereotypical Californian people. Not that I would really know but when I think about people that live out here these people seem to fit. Very fit, shaved everything, tan, muscular people that look way too happy. I think it has to be the sun, I know if I had sun all the time I would be more happy. One guy sarcastically said welcome to California and our weather, it was a little cloudy, I told him it was way better than our weather at home. He said that he needed to keep things in perspective and laughed. Nice people :-)
So I am going to get some food and then head over to the meet to watch some of our lower level kids compete. It will give me a good chance to see what I will have to work with next season. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment