Friday, December 2, 2011

Am I a sickly athlete?

Ive been sick since Wednesday night. I feel like I have been sort of hurting for the last few weeks actually. Had headaches and sore throats, my body aches and I have had a fever for the last two days. I remember when I was a gymnast I had a lot of sore throats and would get achey quite often. Most of the time I would feel better in about 24 hours, this is the first time I can remember that I have had a fever this long. Ive been taking tylenol and advil and that helps but as soon as they wear off my fever goes up again. I guess if I can't get into work tomorrow I will go see the doc. It is surprising that I don't get sicker working with some many kids. And there was a good amount of time that I didn't get sick at all, like 2 years maybe.
So what was the difference between those two years, now, and back in my gymnastics days? I wasn't working out like a fiend. When I was a gymnast I worked out at least 20 hours a week, and in high school often more. Those couple years that I never got sick I was working out but maybe I wasn't pushing it like I do now. I am more on the level I was back when I was in college, and I got sick a lot in college. I have read that pro cyclists do wear down their immune system and can get sick, I wonder if that is what I have done. I have also had a lot of kids really sick at the gym over the last few weeks. Most of the kids that have been sick have missed long stretches too, like a week or more. So if I caught what they have I might be in for a few more days before I feel better.
I guess what I have been thinking is how funny it is that you try to do something that should make you healthier. But it could make you sick. I guess how they say you have to do everything in moderation, even the good stuff. That has always been my problem though. I don't do much in moderation and get pretty crazy about my interests and hobbies.
I hope this ends soon so I can get back to training and I can get back to the gym and work with my girls. I'm feeling a little better now, but I am a couple hours after taking some tylenol so that is normal. I will see in a few more hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment